[GE users] Followup project

andy andreas.schwierskott at oracle.com
Fri Aug 20 08:38:17 BST 2010

Joe,

 > Let me ask a (somewhat obvious) set of questions.
 >
 > Is there any possibility that this project could be shut down due to
 > Oracle flexing legal muscle? That is, DanT looks like his group has
 > funding and a roadmap, and they might not take too kindly to an external
 > group building a relicensed version. Nor give their permission for
 > relicensure.

your question raises a fair concern and needs to be asked here. No one,
neither contributing as an individual nor by representing a company
wants to get involved in any legal troubles when kicking off a
community-led fork of the Grid Engine project.

Though I'm now a Oracle employee and an old-timer in the Grid Engine
engineering team since 16 years I can't speak for Oracle here. So I just
can share my personal view: As I always understood the SISSL license
gives the freedom to anyone to take the code and create a fork - even
commercial versions seem to be allowed if the requirements of the SISSL
are met. I agree a statement or clarification and explanation what can
be done and what not were helpful.

And the legal question is not only about the code: I could not give an
answer under which license the Issuezilla database and mailing list
archives had been made available. That needs to be answered as well.

Undoubtedly the vast effort of all contributions with new feature
development and bug fixing was contributed by Sun in the past 9 years
since we went open source in June 2001. There were a few code
contributions from our community (think about the array job
interdependencies) and there was help with porting to new OS platforms
(the most important certainly was the initial port to Mac OS X). In my
view the greatest asset which had been created was the incredible
adoption of Grid Engine and this tremendously active, helpful and
positive mailing lists in the Grid Engine project. Also the many issues
and bugs which had been reported by our community helped us to improve
the quality of the Grid Engine code and helped others to get fixes
before they ran into it as well. No doubt, that helped our paying
customers as well.

All of you who are in the software business know what's the price tag of
developing new features and fixing bugs. There are numbers which say a
single bug on average costs more than $10k to fix. What I'm wondering is
if the community will be able to sustain the code quality of the current
feature set - and what's about new development or complete new modules
which address new needs, like the Service Domain Manager? This thread
originally has started with a memory reporting regression on Linux. That
bug was easy to fix. Others we fixed in 6.2u6 (see here
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/62patches.txt) took
even us many, many person weeks to analyze and solve them, not talking
about the QA team and lab and the continuous investment in the testsuite
to ensure and improve the quality of the released code on all of the
supported platforms.

There's certainly quite some risk for anyone who is responsible for
running clusters where every hour hundreds, thousands or tens of
thousands CPU hours are waiting to kept busy and keep the company behind
running. So is the assumed zero price tag worth the money you will lose
if the DRM system of your choice does not work? Our customers are giving
us figures which say that hardware, electricity, cooling,
administration, OS licenses, DRM system licenses only make up one third
of their costs. The remaining money goes into the licenses of the
software which runs in the grid. Not talking about the labor costs for
the engineers using the Grid. So can the license and support costs of a
DRM system have any cost saving potential when you compare it with the
value it adds to the bulk of hardware in a data center?

Regards,
Andy
---
Snr Software Development Manager, Grid Engine
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7
D-93049 Regensburg
---
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande