[GE users] Followup project

ron ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 14:01:30 BST 2010

Thanks Andy, and this is really one of the few responses related to the future of the SGE open source project from an Oracle employee.

The reason why I started the "fork" is because we need to maintain the software running on clusters that do not have an Oracle support contract. They, as you mentioned, need a good DRM system. Also, the Rocks Cluster Distribution needs an open source version of Grid Engine. Even if Oracle gives away free SGE binraries, they won't accept it.

(I put fork in quotes because we will merge back with the project in the future if the Oracle-paid developers are going to use the open source model. As others have already mentioned, forking is not something we really want to see, but we also don't want to see an unmaintained version of Grid Engine neither!)

We will be spending the next few months in bug fixing mode before we start anything new, and Univa UD works with the Sun and Oracle developers to fix bugs, so it's not like no commercial entities are interested in fixing bugs in SGE.

Finally, I've seen finicial companies using the open source version of SGE without having a support contract. And they have a few clusters with close to 5000 cores in total, and SGE has been working for them almost perfectly for more than 5 years.

 -Ron