[GE users] Followup project

jlb jlb at salilab.org
Fri Aug 20 16:56:50 BST 2010

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 at 9:38am, andy wrote

> Our customers are giving us figures which say that hardware,
> electricity, cooling, administration, OS licenses, DRM system licenses
> only make up one third of their costs. The remaining money goes into the
> licenses of the software which runs in the grid. Not talking about the
> labor costs for the engineers using the Grid. So can the license and
> support costs of a DRM system have any cost saving potential when you
> compare it with the value it adds to the bulk of hardware in a data
> center?

I think the operative word in the above is "our customers".  That's
obviously a biased sample.  In academia, e.g., the situation is quite
different.  I run a cluster with over 3000 cores (about to expand by
another 1000 or so) used by many PIs.  Our software licensing fees are
practically zero -- the bulk of the software we run is either open-source
or in-house.  Our support fees are minimal.  We don't pay for space,
power, or cooling (well the PIs do, indirectly, but not in proportion to
how much we use).  The vast bulk of our money goes towards nodes.  Why?
It is simply very, very hard to get the PIs to spend money on anything
other than cores.

I'm not at all trying to diminish the value of SGE and it's commercially
supported model.  I'm just pointing out that there are some sizeable users
for whom the paid version just isn't viable.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin