[GE users] Followup project

ppk ppk at ats.ucla.edu
Fri Aug 20 17:13:58 BST 2010

I think what Joshua described is pretty much the same across
many UC campuses.  We just install Linux and all open source
software on our 6000+ cores cluster.  Any software that has
to be licensed is PIs problem.  They have to pay for it from
their grant.  We just configure FlexLM license manager so
that only their group can use what they paid for.   We do
have few general licenses for Matlab, Mathematica etc.
mainly for occasional general users, but waiting time for
those licenses will be longer or unpredictable.

Pretty much everybody write their own (or from a
collaborator) code in Fortran/C/C++ for serial or using
MPI/OpenMP for parallel.  Major expenses are for the nodes
itself,  Infiniband interconnect fabric and storage server.

Prakashan