[GE users] queue seq num and PE wildcards

gragghia gragghia at utk.edu
Sat Aug 21 22:37:37 BST 2010

The example that I showed was on a simple test installation.  Our
production installation uses $fill_up for the MPI PEs.  We have one PE
per Infiniband fabric in order to ensure that an MPI job doesn't get
assigned to nodes on more than one fabric (we have four).  I expected
the jobs to follow the sequence number of the queues (since no other
features directly address the order in which resources are
preferentially assigned).

We have good luck in using multiple PEs for our IB fabrics and
submitting jobs with "-pe mpi* ##", but this is preventing use of the
queue sequence feature.  If there is another option to ensure that a job
doesn't use multiple queues at once (without making hard resource
requests), then I'd certainly be interested in hearing how to do it.

- Geri

--
Gerald Ragghianti

Newton HPC Program http://newton.utk.edu/