[GE users] Followup project

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Aug 23 15:36:22 BST 2010

joelandman <landman at scalableinformatics.com> writes:

>> All of you who are in the software business know what's the price tag of
>> developing new features and fixing bugs. There are numbers which say a
>> single bug on average costs more than $10k to fix. What I'm wondering is
>
> Well, there are numbers and ... er ... then there are numbers.  I don't
> put much faith in these generalized metrics.

Right; some of us ought to be millionaires at $10k/bug, except that
we've done the work as volunteers or as part of our public service
employment.  If that's what it actually costs Oracle, it looks like a
business opportunity for others.

> Look carefully at Torque and some of the others (Slurm etc).  Open
> source, contributing community, and quite vibrant, without the need for
> $10k/bug metrics and revenue offsets of the same.

You could ask why the same hasn't happened with SGE (and possibly other
Sun free software products).  It seems to me that it was relatively hard
to contribute.  There's some indication that now Oracle has killed
OpenSolaris, the fork (whose name I forget) will end up in quite good
shape.

> Redhat has a very similar issue to the OGE team on this.

Specifically its HPC offering which I assume is all free software.

--
Dave Love
AKA fx at gnu.org