packages (was: [GE users] Re: Re: Re: [GE users] Issue seen in 6.2U5 : memory values reported bySGE too low compared to top output on linux systems)

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Aug 23 15:38:13 BST 2010

rayson <rayrayson at gmail.com> writes:

> What version is the Grid Engine package in Fedora?

It's 6.2u5, but that doesn't matter much when you have a useful SRPM and
can usually drop in a new tarball by -- typically -- deleting a few
patches.  Note that it doesn't build (for trivial reasons) on the
RHEL-derived systems that most people are probably running if they have
something RH-ish.

It would be nice to concoct a common SRPM that

* Supports the different RPM-based distributions (Fedora, RHEL,
  (Open)SuSE, Mandriva?);

* Supports both shared and local SGE_ROOT;

* Doesn't make assumptions about SGE_CELL and controlling the relevant
  daemons on updates.

I think that's practical, but I've only done some of the work, which I'm
happy to contribute, of course.

The situation is similar for dpkg, as far as I can tell, but I don't get
to run a Debian-based system, unfortunately.

By the way, I'm not convinced by the need for a project like this to
build and distribute binaries, as people seem to be suggesting.  Why is
it any different from other things you either just get from your
distro's repo or build packages of yourself?

--
Dave Love
AKA fx at gnu.org