[GE users] error: unable to contact qmaster using port 6444

gutnik gutnik at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 23:18:56 BST 2010

So, we just installed a new ubuntu client machine. It has a fixed IP,
resolves and reverse resolves, and yet,
I get the above error.

I see nothing on the server logs (if I should see something, please
tell me where I should look?)

host newmachine
nslookup newmachine
/usr/lib/gridengine/gethostbyaddr
/usr/lib/gridengine/gethostbyname

all work and resolve to the name (or address) that I expect on the queue master.

Both server and client are on a local network; there are no firewalls.

I believe we've seen something like this before and rebooting the
server fixes it, but that kills
all pending jobs so it's quite unappealing.

How would we debug this further?

    Vadim