[GE users] usernames with special characters can't be added

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Aug 26 11:05:16 BST 2010

glenlivet <probable.zombies at gmail.com> writes:

> How do I add usernames with special characters?  For example, our
> linux users who authenticate against Windows Active Directory via
> Likewise-open has usernames of the form 'DOMAIN\username',

I don't know much about Likewise-open, except that it looked like
something I didn't want when I briefly looked at it a while ago.
Anyway, that looks pretty broken, and I'm not surprised it causes
trouble, though I don't know what the typical system restrictions are on
unames.  The convention for authenticating against a specific realm
(Windows domain) is to specify <uname>@<realm>, but you don't actually
mangle the user names.

If the Ubuntu likewise-open and gridengine packages don't work together,
I guess you should make an Ubuntu bug report.

> All nodes, including the masters, are running ubuntu 10.04 server edition.

It's easy to set up authentication against Active Directory in Ubuntu
using normal user names in the usual way, assuming the GNU/Linux unames
correspond to the Windows ones; you can do it even if they don't
correspond.  It works fine for me.  SGE normally won't care about the
site authentication, though.

Perhaps the SGE user mapping facility could help you but, having
never used it, I guess it won't.

--
Dave Love
AKA fx at gnu.org