[GE users] usernames with special characters can't be added

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Aug 26 11:27:22 BST 2010

Am 26.08.2010 um 12:05 schrieb fx:

> glenlivet <probable.zombies at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How do I add usernames with special characters?  For example, our
>> linux users who authenticate against Windows Active Directory via
>> Likewise-open has usernames of the form 'DOMAIN\username',
>
> I don't know much about

Me too.

> Likewise-open, except that it looked like
> something I didn't want when I briefly looked at it a while ago.
> Anyway, that looks pretty broken, and I'm not surprised it causes
> trouble, though I don't know what the typical system restrictions are on
> unames.  The convention for authenticating against a specific realm
> (Windows domain) is to specify <uname>@<realm>, but you don't actually
> mangle the user names.

Under which user accounts on the Linux machines are these processes running then in the end? When this is completely integrated into the OS, maybe changing the separator from \ to + would do it already ("winbind separator"). Having a \ in scripts and the necessity of having to quote and/or escape it all the time could be cumbersome anyway.

> If the Ubuntu likewise-open and gridengine packages don't work together,
> I guess you should make an Ubuntu bug report.
>
>> All nodes, including the masters, are running ubuntu 10.04 server edition.
>
> It's easy to set up authentication against Active Directory in Ubuntu
> using normal user names in the usual way, assuming the GNU/Linux unames
> correspond to the Windows ones; you can do it even if they don't
> correspond.  It works fine for me.  SGE normally won't care about the
> site authentication, though.
>
> Perhaps the SGE user mapping facility could help you but, having
> never used it, I guess it won't.

AFAIK it's unfortunately still broken and will only compile when it's done with a special flag at all.