[GE users] usernames with special characters can't be added

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Aug 26 13:22:16 BST 2010

reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> writes:

>> The convention for authenticating against a specific realm
>> (Windows domain) is to specify <uname>@<realm>, but you don't actually
>> mangle the user names.
>
> Under which user accounts on the Linux machines are these processes
> running then in the end? When this is completely integrated into the
> OS, maybe changing the separator from \ to + would do it already
> ("winbind separator").

The user at REALM business is just the responsibility of the PAM krb5 (or
heimdal) module, and is only relevant if you need to authenticate
against multiple realms.  I just type my site username and password at
GDM, and pam_krb5 takes care of it (unfortunately against Active
Directory, but it doesn't make much difference at this level).

If you need Kerberos tickets for authentication against resources within
the batch system, that's a different issue (generally intractable), of
course.

--
Dave Love
AKA fx at gnu.org