[GE users] how can configure SGE for different request of jobs

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sat Aug 28 13:42:56 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 28.08.2010 um 12:51 schrieb mrostaee:

> I defined a queue on 5 nodes.
> I want a job  that request slots <48 just use one host  (no distribution, just one host).
> and for slots>48, jobs can be distributed on all hosts of defined queue.
>
> how can i configure SGE for that user?

with two different PEs like mpi_pe and mpi_rr with allocation_rule $pe_slots resp. $round_robin the user can use the appropriate one for his intended number of slots.

Although it's an RFE having the resource quotas working the other way round (i.e. as minimum requirements for certain conditions), there is nothing built in like this for now to make the correct request for the PEs automatically. But this we can also do by other means:

Step 1) By defining a JSV (job submission verifier) the users can request e.g. "-pe mpi* 77" and the JSV will have to replace the "mpi*" with the correct one. The JSV also needs to check, whether the user is trying to cheat the system by requesting illegal combinations like "-pe mpi_rr 4".

Optional step 2) In addition a fake PE called only "mpi" with zero slots set in its definition can avoid, that users have to quote "mpi*" all the time to avoid expansion of the asterisk by the shell*). In the plain PE "mpi" no jobs will ever run of course, but the JSV will replace this with the best suited one anyway.

-- Reuti

*) I find it somewhat inconsequent, that the bash will on the one hand replace "mpi*" with the list of filenames, in case there are any starting with "mpi" . But on the other hand forward the plain asterisk in case there are none - the list should simply be empty then.