[GE users] How to check reservations?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Aug 30 20:31:46 BST 2010

Am 30.08.2010 um 19:47 schrieb gutnik:

> I'm having trouble running a big job that takes multiple CPUs while
> there is a steady stream of smaller jobs.
>
> As I understand
> http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Managing+the+Scheduler, the
> way to ensure the bigger
> job gets run is to submit it with the -R y flag, so that once it
> becomes the top priority job it will start to reserve
> resources (in this case, CPU slots), until it runs. Is that right?
>
> (In this case, the job is being submitted with a pe environment that
> requires 12 slots on one machine.)
>
> So, just now, I increased the priority of the job and it is now at the
> top of the queue, as reported by qstat. Is there some way
> to see that a)  the reservation is in place and b) that resources are
> being held for this job?

You can set "MONITOR=1" in the scheduler "params" and check the output of the "schedule" file (`man sched_conf`).

Do you specify a runtime ("h_rt") for the jobs? Otherwise the default_duration "unlimited" from the scheduler is taken, which judges "unlimited" as being smaller than "unlimited" (of the already running jobs w/o a runtime limit) and following jobs without a given runtime might slip in all the time. Setting the default_duration to 9999:99:99 might help if this is the case.

-- Reuti