[GE users] Aborted jobs mystery

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Aug 31 20:32:53 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 31.08.2010 um 20:23 schrieb ffoertter:

> So here is my scenario:
> 	SGE: 6.2u3
> 	Distro: SL 5.4
> 	I have some jobs that take ~48h to complete.  It's CPU intensive, not maxed on mem.
> 	In my highmem nodes, they run for about a day outputs, then they just die, and the compute node reboots

are they dying on their own, or killed by the shutdown script of your Linux before it reboots finally? Do your nodes reboot this way (i.e. with a proper shutdown first) and hence you have something in your /var/log/messages - or just like pressing "reset"?

> 	We've had issues with the 10GbE cards before in other identical (lower mem) nodes
> 	Hardware checks show failure is some 10GbE cards
> 	Job death coincides with machine reboot
> 	All nodes have NAS directly mounted
>
> Qmaster says:
> Exit Status      = -1
> Signal           = unknown signal
> failed before writing exit_status because:
> can't read usage file for job 1470.1
>
> So I'm naturally assuming it's yet another 10GbE card dying on us... I can't read the usage file because, well, it's lost connection to our NAS, and that's where it's at.

What's on the NAS? Spool directory of SGE, / directory, /home, /var, all?

When you have local disks, I'd put the spool directory of SGE local in something like /var/spool/sge:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/nfsreduce.html

> But another developer here says he thinks the jobs are being killed because they spend a while not outputting and somehow qmaster believes it hung...

No. Unless you defined a time limit for the job, SGE won't kill it because of no output. In fact, it would be a matter to define "no output" first.

> So in another queue he runs it but modifies these env settings (quoting his email):
>
> i) Added "UNSET TMOUT"  to submit.sh;
> ii) Created .ssh/config in the home directory;
> iii) Edited ~/.ssh/config and added
> serveraliveinterval 60
> serveralivecountmax 10
> iv) Modified the permissions on ~/.ssh/config
> $ chmod 700 ~/.ssh/config

This would only apply, when you have a parallel job and changed SGE's configuration to use SSH instead of its own default startup for slave tasks.

If it's hardware, there can be many sources: I saw a faulty power supply which could run one job on a dual CPU machine at that time w/o problems for days. But sending a second job there rebooted the node instantly.

-- Reuti