[GE users] qlogin / ssh (ultimately, X forwarding)

rumpelkeks tina.friedrich at diamond.ac.uk
Tue Feb 2 14:40:08 GMT 2010

Hello list,

I know this was discussed numerous times. I've read the instructions and
at least believe I found the related posts in the archives. I still
can't get it to work. I'd appreciate some help with this.

I'm trying to set up qlogin-via-ssh because we need X forwarding, at
least for some things.

I plan to only enable it on a couple of nodes, so I am not working on
the queue level but node level (rather, queue instance level) config -
as I understand things this should be possible?

Anyway, I followed these instructions:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/qrsh_qlogin_ssh.html

set it up for one test node and tried to log in (and I did first check
that qlogin works with the builtin method).

Doesn't work. What I get is "Your job XXXXX has been submitted" followed
by "Your interactive job XXXXX as been successfully scheduled.". And
then, after a couple of seconds each, numerous repeats of the "has been
successfully scheduled" and in the end a commlib error and the queue
instance ends up in an error state.

On the node, no ssh processes (no addidional ssh processes, that is)
appear to get started. Can't find anything in any logs, either. (Oh yes,
ssh into the nodes directly works.)

I've tried a couple of things (lots of things, actually), but now need
some help debugging this.

I am running Red Hat Enterprise 5 everywhere. I have a feeling that one
of my problems is that RHEL5 isn't set up to run ssh from inetd. I
looked into that but couldn't actually get it to work. However, I wasn't
too bothered - I don't insist on running it through inetd. Unless SGE
insist on it? I've tried setting the daemon to not use the "-i" flag to
sshd, or run sshd without daemonising it; but no luck.

Could someone shed some light on to what the Grid Engine is actually
trying to do? Is it simply running the command that I enter as the
qlogin_daemon (qrsh_daemon etc)? And if yes, what user does it run this
as? That sort of thing.

Thanks a lot,
Tina

--
Tina Friedrich, Computer Systems Administrator, Diamond Light Source Ltd
Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus - 01235 77 8442