[GE users] use only N out of M cores per node?

mbay2002 jeff at haferman.com
Wed Feb 3 02:41:48 GMT 2010

This is on a machine using SGE 6.1u5 (I can upgrade but this has served
has well)...

I'd like our users to be able to submit jobs and tell SGE that only
N out of M cores per node should be used, for example, we have 8 cores
per node but because of memory constraints certain users want to submit
jobs and request that only 4 out of the 8 cores be used per node and,
they may need 16 cores total, so the qsub needs to tel sge to use
4 cores on 4 nodes.

I could set up a hostgroup and queue to do this, but I'm wondering
if it's possible in the "default" configuration with the @allhosts
hostgroup and all.q (this is on a Rocks cluster, BTW).

I thought
qsub -l p=4 <script>
might do it but it looks like that construct requests 4 processors
total, not per node.

I'm guessing this has been asked before...