[GE users] qlogin / ssh (ultimately, X forwarding)

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Feb 3 13:12:18 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 02.02.2010 um 17:11 schrieb rumpelkeks:

>>> On the node, no ssh processes (no addidional ssh processes, that is)
>>> appear to get started. Can't find anything in any logs, either. (Oh
>>> yes,
>>> ssh into the nodes directly works.)
>>
>> the default ssh will use port 22 which is often open in the firewalls
>> by default. SGE's dedicated sshd (there will be one started for each
>> job) will use a random port, so there must not be any firewall on the
>> nodes.
>>
>> Do you have a firewall on the nodes?
>>
>> Whether there is a sshd or rshd running all the time is not related
>> to SGE's startup mechanism. You can have a cluster w/o user access to
>> the nodes but through SGE this way.
>
> I haven't got a firewall on the nodes. I've also verified that I can
> very happily run up sshd (as root) on my node on about any port I like
> and log in.
>
> I realise that this can work without 'normal' ssh access, which is one
> reason I want to get it to work :)

Are you running SELinux on the nodes?

Normal qsub is working?

>>> <snip>
> Sorry, might've gotten confusing here. In this first instance I'd be
> quite happy to get a login. My problem is that it doesn't work at all.
> (I mean even if the X forwarding fails, I should just get a
> shell/prompt/something like that, or not?)

Yep.

>>> <snip>
>
> I know what process SGE runs as. I want to know what it would try to
> start the ssh process as. The user that wants to login, the user that
> SGE runs as; does it have setuid on something...? (This could very
> well
> be the user running SGE (sgeadmin) not being allowed to start sshd
> process.) Also, when trying this directly, I cannot run "sshd -i"; is
> this required to work, or can it be used without being run from inetd?

It's not run from inetd:

sgeadmin root     /usr/sge/bin/lx24-x86/sge_execd
sgeadmin root      \_ sge_shepherd-409 -bg
root     root          \_ sshd: reuti [priv]
reuti    reuti             \_ sshd: reuti at pts/0
reuti    reuti                 \_ -bash
reuti    reuti                     \_ ps -e f -o user,ruser,command

-- Reuti