[GE users] Job Scheduling (Substitute Cron)

craftytech henry at craftytech.com
Thu Feb 4 00:29:56 GMT 2010

Hello All,

     I'm currently in the process of implementing SGE at work as a proof of concept.  My question is this: Most or all of the documentation that I've come across so far outlines SGE as a HPC tool (rightfully so), but I'm yet find a document where is target more towards simple job scheduling, as a means to substituting cron.  The HPC concept will come in handy soon enough, but at the present time, we're looking the fulfill the need to replace cron with a product that helps with the scheduling of tasks from a centralized node, and provides historical data for the jobs executed.  Would SGE be an overkill?  Is anyone out there using SGE as a job scheduler as opposed to a HPC facility?

Thanks,

Henry