[GE users] qlogin / ssh (ultimately, X forwarding)

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Feb 4 12:13:48 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 04.02.2010 um 11:19 schrieb rumpelkeks:

> <snip>
> Okay. I didn't read it like that, again that's down to me not being
> good
> of putting the puzzle together.
>
> So there's definitely no way to only have part of the hosts in a queue
> do that? Is there a way to only allow it on parts of a queue?

in long-term also the -builtin- method will support X11 forwarding IIRC.

> Basically, what I have is the - not unusual - case of having a
> group of
> more elderly hosts and new, fast nodes. On the new, fast nodes, we run
> automatic fast data processing and such; the older ones aren't in use
> for the fast processing jobs any more. So I don't see any harm in
> allowing people to run X applications on the older hosts; but I'd like
> to keep the newer hosts used for fast processing free of them, if
> at all
> possible. I thought (hoped?) that I could set it up so that only the
> older hostgroup uses the ssh method (clearly, I was wrong). Is
> there any
> way you can see of doing this? I wouldn't really like to set up a
> different queue for it (I've got too many queues as it is, in my
> opinion).

I would suggest to use ssh for all nodes, but adjust /etc/ssh/
sshd_config to disallow X11 on certain machines (assuming that
interactive usage is allowed on all nodes besides this restriction).
If you don't want to tamper the original sshd_config, it's also
possible to supply a custom one for the SGE created sessions with the
-f option to sshd in SGE's qrsh setup or to append just the necessary
-oX11Forwarding=no in the local configuration for the disallowed
nodes to the qrsh_daemon entry.

>> What you can set up is to use ssh for the interactive qlogin/rlogin,
>> and -builtin- for qrsh with command (i.e. the rsh_* entries).
>
> Or, I assume, qlogin with builtin and qrsh using the ssh method? (I
> want
> the ssh/X forwarding to be the exception rather than the norm).
> Could I
> then disallow qrsh on some host groups?

You could remove the keyword "INTERACTIVE" from the qtype entry in
the queue definition. But this will not disallow interactive use when
users find out to get an interactive slot with:

$ qrsh -now n

it will then run in a batch queue. "INTERACTIVE" in SGE terms is more
to be read as "IMMEDIATE" (and a `qsub -now y ..` will run in an
interactive queue).

In the sshd_config you can use one of the "AllowUsers" or
"AllowGroups" options to restrict access though.