[GE users] qlogin / ssh (ultimately, X forwarding)

rumpelkeks tina.friedrich at diamond.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 17:27:42 GMT 2010

Sorry. Use Head. MPI uses qrsh, not qlogin, doesn't it? So changing the
qlogin but leaving the qrsh alone is indeed the way forward, I guess.

Again, thanks a lot.

Tina

rumpelkeks wrote:
> Another thing.
>
> Doesn't MPI tight integration use qlogin? So would setting the qlogin
> method to ssh globally break that, possibly?
>
> Sorry for being a bother :)
>
> Tina
>
> rumpelkeks wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wanting to avoid ssh due to the integration/accounting/etc issues,
>> especially on the 'new' nodes.
>>
>> The issue about "Potential loss of control: in some unusual cases,
>> killing the job might leave behind idle or busy processes, even if the
>> job is seen as finished by Grid Engine." mentioned in the disadvantages
>> on the how to set it up page, how often would you say do you actually
>> see that? That was one of my biggest gripes with it (regarding using
>> that method on the faster nodes).
>>
>> How far away is the builtin supporting X, actually?
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your help,
>> Tina
>>
>> reuti wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> in long-term also the -builtin- method will support X11 forwarding IIRC.

>>> I would suggest to use ssh for all nodes, but adjust /etc/ssh/
>>> sshd_config to disallow X11 on certain machines (assuming that
>>> interactive usage is allowed on all nodes besides this restriction).
>>> If you don't want to tamper the original sshd_config, it's also
>>> possible to supply a custom one for the SGE created sessions with the
>>> -f option to sshd in SGE's qrsh setup or to append just the necessary
>>> -oX11Forwarding=no in the local configuration for the disallowed
>>> nodes to the qrsh_daemon entry.

>>> You could remove the keyword "INTERACTIVE" from the qtype entry in
>>> the queue definition. But this will not disallow interactive use when
>>> users find out to get an interactive slot with:
>>>
>>> $ qrsh -now n
>>>
>>> it will then run in a batch queue. "INTERACTIVE" in SGE terms is more
>>> to be read as "IMMEDIATE" (and a `qsub -now y ..` will run in an
>>> interactive queue).
>>>
>>> In the sshd_config you can use one of the "AllowUsers" or
>>> "AllowGroups" options to restrict access though.
>>>
>>> -- Reuti

Tina Friedrich, Computer Systems Administrator, Diamond Light Source Ltd
Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus - 01235 77 8442