[GE users] SGE on Snow Leopard

jlforrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 4 21:35:16 GMT 2010

On 2/4/2010 11:57 AM, ahluwaliav wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently purchased a MacPRO 8-core with Snow Leopard for 'parallelizing' image
> analysis program (FSL) only to realize that SGE does not support Snow Leopard.

For what it's worth, I don't recommend using Macs for this
sort of thing. If you're planning on using a Mac for just
running parallel applications, and it won't be somebody's
desktop machine too, then I think you get way more bang
for your buck buying generic Linux machines. If you're
planning on dual-use Macs, that is both running parallel
apps and being used as desktop machines, then beware
of the strange way Mac OS does process scheduling.
By this I mean that the lowest possible priority
process still gets a significant amount of CPU time,
even when higher priority processes are ready to
run. This makes Mac OS unsuitable for dual-use
because if you load a Mac up, perhaps using SGE,
with low priority processes, the person using the
Mac for interactive use won't be a happy camper
because they'll feel the effects of all the low
priority processes. So far, nobody at Apple seems
to see anything wrong with this.

I'm running 14 dual-core Mac Pros in dual-use
mode running SGE 6.2u4 and Mac OS 10.5.8. These
were put into dual-use because we didn't have
any space for a traditional dark room cluster.
In retrospect, I wish we hadn't done this.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support