[GE users] Screencast/blog post on SGE 6.2u5 install on OS X

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Mon Feb 8 00:18:08 GMT 2010

Hi folks,

I've tried to brain dump the current showstopper issues with modern
versions of SGE on modern versions of Mac OS X (both client and server
OS versions...)

The core issue from what I have observed on multiple systems is that in
modern versions of OS X the SGE binaries simply do not function when
started as root via a shell script (like during SGE installation or a
system startup script) or even when manually started by the root user
acting at the command line. This breaks both installation and general
startup on OS X.

The *only* reliable and stable way I've seen of getting SGE going is to
move control of the SGE daemon start/stop process under the Apple OS X
Launchd Service framework.

Running SGE under launchd is not a big deal except for the fact that SGE
wont' install cleanly now on OS X systems because the installer script
launches sge_qmaster directly and this does not seem stable/reliable any
more on updated 10.5 and 10.6.* based systems.

You basically have to interrupt the installation process and continue
manually after all the basic stuff like spooling and the SGE_CELL
directory is sorted out.

Anyway notes and a recorded video are here:

http://blog.bioteam.net/2010/02/07/grid-engine-6-2-on-mac-os-x/

And if the link above gets truncated:

http://bit.ly/d2WVni

Neither the blog post or the video are particularly polished, I just
wanted to get something out in written/recorded form. Sorry for the
roughness.

-Chris