[GE users] power off idle nodes

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Feb 8 12:56:57 GMT 2010

Am 08.02.2010 um 11:31 schrieb marcingoldyn:

> We have Service Domain Manager with Power Saving adapter.

I'm also thinking of implementing some power saving feature. How
sophisticated is this setup using SDM? I mean: suppose one machine is
switched off, then some jobs are submitted. But as these jobs require
more than one mache each, switching on the one switched-off machine
is useless. Will it discover that at least one other machine needs to
get idle before any further action should happen and switch it on at
that time?

A simple approach could also be to look at the 15 minutes avg. load
(3rd value in `uptime`) and issue an `ipmitool ... chassis power
soft` when there is no load and no job having this node assigned any
longer; and issuing `ipmitool ... chassis power on` when there are
waiting jobs.

-- Reuti