[GE users] Screencast/blog post on SGE 6.2u5 install on OS X

jlforrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 8 18:46:37 GMT 2010

On 2/8/2010 3:12 AM, craffi wrote:
> Honestly I think SGE on OS X is going to be a dead end.

I agree completely. An HPC cluster of Macs doesn't
make financial sense. You can get way more computing
power for the buck with generic Linux PCs. A
pseudo-cluster of desktop Macs suffers from Apple's
unique interpretation of how to treat process priorities.
Both suffer from the installation problem you've documented
so well.

The only reasons I'm running a pseudo-cluster are:

1) I didn't have anywhere to put a Linux HPC cluster.

2) I didn't know any better.

Indeed, the research group for which I run this pseudo-cluster
will not be using Macs in the next cluster they buy, which I'm
in the process of configuring right now.

I don't expect Apple to do much about the pricing issue,
but there's really no excuse for the other technical problems.

Is anybody from Apple reading this email list?

Cordially,

--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support