[GE users] Screencast/blog post on SGE 6.2u5 install on OS X

brettgrant99 grantb at grantb.org
Mon Feb 8 19:28:28 GMT 2010

The last batch of Xserves that we bought (about 2 years ago) as an HPC cluster was actually cheaper than same hardware from HP or Sun.

A year ago, we got some quotes to add an HPC cluster, and again the Apple computers were cheaper.

I realize that things change, and the problems that you are seeing (which I really haven't followed) seem like real problems.

However, as odd as it seems, Apple has always given us pretty good pricing on hardware.  Has that changed?  It seems like a year or so ago, they seemed to "re-organize" there commercial account stuff.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: [GE users] Screencast/blog post on SGE 6.2u5 install on OS X

jlforrest       to:     users
02/08/10 11:57 AM

Cc:     craffi

Please respond to users

________________________________

On 2/8/2010 3:12 AM, craffi wrote:
> Honestly I think SGE on OS X is going to be a dead end.

I agree completely. An HPC cluster of Macs doesn't
make financial sense. You can get way more computing
power for the buck with generic Linux PCs. A
pseudo-cluster of desktop Macs suffers from Apple's
unique interpretation of how to treat process priorities.
Both suffer from the installation problem you've documented
so well.

The only reasons I'm running a pseudo-cluster are:

1) I didn't have anywhere to put a Linux HPC cluster.

2) I didn't know any better.

Indeed, the research group for which I run this pseudo-cluster
will not be using Macs in the next cluster they buy, which I'm
in the process of configuring right now.

I don't expect Apple to do much about the pricing issue,
but there's really no excuse for the other technical problems.

Is anybody from Apple reading this email list?

Cordially,

--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support