[GE users] Screencast/blog post on SGE 6.2u5 install on OS X

cdwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Mon Feb 8 20:35:49 GMT 2010

Is anybody from Apple reading this email list?

I'm not from Apple, but having built a couple of Apple clusters, I'll go ahead with a small defense:

The XServe (Apple's rackmount server) is a decent machine for a lot of applications.  OS X Server is quite a powerful operating system.  The GUIs for managing LDAP user authentication, apache, DNS, DHCP, and a few other services are quite good.  In particular, if you're tasked to manage a room full of Apple workstations for a mid sized community of users - these servers are an excellent solution.

If you're already able to build and administer a Linux server from scratch (i.e:  You incur no cost from having to deal directly with the services at the level of configuration files), then of course you should evaluate machines on the basis of raw cost and performance.  Many of the users I've met perceive that administrative cost as nonzero, so there is some value to the GUI tools.  Of course, some of us who live our lives through SSH connections have come to hate GUIs with a passion.

Similarly, there are some advantages to a cluster of OS X machines - even the pseudo cluster you mention - for specific users and specific use cases.  I'm not familiar with the process priority flaw that you mention.  However, I've watched more than a few dyed-in-the-wool Linux cluster administrators frustrate themselves to no end trying to force OS X to *be* Linux.  It's not.  It's something different.  For some use cases, viva la difference.  For others, go buy yourself a cluster of generic x86_64 boxes - or use Amazon's EC2.

If your benchmark for the goodness of an operating system is something like "goodness = the inverse of the difference between this thing from Linux," you should probably just go ahead and use Linux.  Similarly for folks experienced enough to architect their own cluster from the ground up.

That said:  I have to admit that I agree with you and Dag:

Honestly I think SGE on OS X is going to be a dead end.

Apple has never made a large effort to compete on price.  Now that clusters are a commodity - and an increasingly virtual one at that - I don't see Apple playing much of a role in this space anymore.

-Chris Dwan