[GE users] Best way to shut down an SGE cluster

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Tue Feb 9 21:38:57 GMT 2010

The fast way to shutdown a cluster is "qconf -kej all -km".  That stops
the qmaster and all execds cleanly and aborts all running jobs.  The
jobs will need to be resubmitted.

If you have time for an extra step or two, you can "qmod -d \*; qmod -rj
\*; qconf -kej all -km".  That will disable all queues and then requeue
all jobs, before stopping all the execds and master.  When you bring the
cluster back up, run "qmod -e \*" to bring your queues back online, and
the jobs should automatically be rescheduled.  This all requires that
your queues have rerun set to TRUE, though.

Also note, the -ke or -kej has to come before the -km.  Nothing after
the -km will have any effect.

Daniel