[GE users] Migrating SGE to another Host

arajkuma anooprajkumar at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 21 03:34:42 GMT 2010

Hi
I am trying to migrate SGE (6.1 u5)from host A to Host B.
While installing SGE on host A i had selected Berkeley DB spooling method with Local spooling in a local directory /home/sge.
While migrating to host B i copied all the db files from host A to Host B under /home/sge and then ran command on Host B
#./sgemaster -migrate
above command should have modified act_qmaster and started qmaster and scheduler on Host B but i got error
./sgemaster -migrate
   shutting down qmaster and scheduler on host "usrylxap180.merck.com" ...
   old qmaster did not write lock file. Cannot migrate qmaster.
   Please verify that qmaster on host usrylxap180.merck.com is down
   and make sure that the lock file in qmaster spool directory is
   read-able

And in qmaster messages file I see

02/20/2010 21:41:41|qmaster|HostA|I|controlled shutdown 6.1u5
02/20/2010 21:44:00|qmaster|HostB|E|couldn't open berkeley database "sge": (22) Invalid argument
02/20/2010 21:44:00|qmaster|HostB|E|startup of rule "default rule" in context "berkeleydb spooling" failed
02/20/2010 21:44:00|qmaster|HostB|C|setup failed

I changed the permission on lock file to 777
-rw-------  1 sgeadmin sge         0 Feb 20 21:52 lock

And ran below command again.

./sgemaster -migrate
   shutting down qmaster and scheduler on host "usrylxap180.merck.com" ...
   starting sge_qmaster

sge_qmaster didn't start!
Please check the messages file

   starting sge_schedd
error: commlib error: can't connect to service (Connection refused)
error: getting configuration: unable to contact qmaster using port 536 on host "usrylxap180.merck.com"
error: can't get configuration from qmaster -- backgrounding

So problem is that I am not able to start qmaster and scheduler on a new host because I have spool database on local file system and copying it to a new host does not work. Has anyone faced this issue before?

Appreciate any help.