[GE users] Installation on Debian Lenny

massot bernard.massot at ens.fr
Tue Feb 23 10:31:24 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:02:43AM +0200, jspies wrote:
> I am struggling to get Gridengine working on a Debian cluster using
> the debian packages.  The instructions (README.Debian) do not produce
> the expected result.
This documentation is not very good.

> It is not totally clear how the $SGE_ROOT and $SGE_CELL is set up.
You don't need to worry about that when you're using Debian. You only
have to know where to look for logs, accounting data and some
system-wide configuration files. Those are located somewhere in
/var/lib/gridengine and /var/spool/gridengine.

> Are there any people on this list who use Debian or the Debian
> installation of Gridengine?
I am, and it works pretty well (for me). Here is a quick and dirty howto
on starting a Gride Engine cluster on Debian Lenny :
* first install gridengine-master package on master host, then
  gridengine-exec on each execution host and gridengine-client on each
  submission host ;
* on master, authorize a user to manage your cluster : qconf -am
  someuser (as root, then all commands as "someuser") ;
* authorize execution hosts : qconf -ae, then a text editor is run in
  which you must overwrite "template" with execution host's hostname
  (rerun command for each execution host) ;
* create a queue : qconf -aq queue_name.q, then a text editor is run in
  which you must give a space separated list of execution hosts
  hostnames in "hostlist" field.

After that just follow official doc.

> Or is it better to do a /usr/local/ installation and not use the
> Debian packages.
I advice you to use Debian packages, unless you need specific features
only available in version newer than provided by Debian.
Debian maintainers did a good job of packaging such a complex program.
--
Bernard Massot