[GE users] max_u_jobs, or maxujobs?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Feb 23 17:40:38 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 23.02.2010 um 18:07 schrieb prentice:

> Dear GU Users:
>
> I'm trying to limit how many jobs a user can have running at once.
>
> If I use 'qconf -msconf', I can change maxujobs.
>
> If I use 'qconf -mconf', I can change max_u_jobs.
>
> Which one of these settings is the correct or preferable one to
> change?
> What is the difference?

from their man pages:

    max_u_jobs
        The  number of active (not finished) jobs ...

    maxujobs
        The maximum number of jobs any user may have running ...

Also waiting jobs are honored in the first option, hence you need the
second.

> I'm betting someone will say that using RQS is better. Am I right?

When all users get the same limit, then setting maxujobs is just one
entry to be changed. But when different users should get different
limits, then you have to use an RQS (and a version of SGE which
supports the JOB entry in the complex definition for defining a
consumable complex "jobs"). It's about a limit for jobs, not slots,
to be done.

-- Reuti