[GE users] Change qmasters hostname?

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 06:44:06 GMT 2010

SGE only temporary caches the IP of the nodes. So as far as SGE is
concerned about the name change of the qmaster, it is almost same as
migrating the qmaster to another host. So basically you will need to
follow step 3 of this HOWTO:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/sge_migrate.html

And if there are queue instances on the master host, you will need to
delete them before the name change, and re-create them afterwards.

But make sure you test the steps you are going to perform on a test
cluster -- just 2-node test cluster is far better than no testing at
all. And the test cluster can be installed on an existing machine, and
even installed as non-root. As long as the port numbers and $SGE_ROOT
are different, SGE does not know the existence of another instance on
the same machine.

(Another way of looking at the problem -- a name change is like an
alias of the original name, and thus you can make use of the
"host_aliases" file as a quick hack. However, I would not recommend
using the "host_aliases" file if the name change is permanent.)

Rayson