[GE users] qrsh behavior different when requesting queue

murple andreas.kuntzagk at mdc-berlin.de
Fri Feb 26 07:50:12 GMT 2010

Hi,

reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 25.02.2010 um 16:27 schrieb murple:
>
>> I try to understand a strange problem. For one of my users starting
>> gvim
>>    via qrsh fails with an X error.
>
> what is the error message in detail?

Have to check with the user. I can't create this error on my machine. It
was something like "BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)"

>> This is somehow connected to his
>> local X server I suspect since it's working from other machines.
>> BUT:
>> the problem depends on how he calls qrsh
>>
>> variant 1:
>>
>> # qrsh -v PATH -cwd gvim
>>
>> FAILS
>>
>> variant 2:
>>
>> # qrsh -v PATH -cwd -q *@nodexx gvim
>
> You can try:
>
> $ qrsh env
>
> to check the environment variables. But I don't see any difference in
> the above calls when they finally end up on one and the same machine.

I checked qrsh env and did not see any significant differences. (Just
Job_ID, TMP and the like.)

> - You use SSH with X11 forwarding?

Yep.

Users machine ===> ssh ===> login node ===> ssh (through qrsh) ===> exec
node

> - Home of the user isn't filled up or limited by a quota which is
> reached?

No.

> - Is there more than one queue per machine with different
> starter_methods or alike?

There are different queues defined but they only differ in that one is
BATCH and INTERACTIVE and the other is only INTERACTIVE.
And the slot count is different.
(I diffed the qconf -sq <queuename> output)

Since this is the only user reporting such a problem and since we found
a workaround I will probably keep it like it is and regards this into
the field of "computer mystery".

regards, Andreas