[GE users] qrsh behavior different when requesting queue

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Feb 26 11:28:10 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 26.02.2010 um 08:50 schrieb murple:

> Hi,
>
> reuti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 25.02.2010 um 16:27 schrieb murple:
>>
>>> I try to understand a strange problem. For one of my users starting
>>> gvim
>>>    via qrsh fails with an X error.
>>
>> what is the error message in detail?
>
> Have to check with the user. I can't create this error on my
> machine. It
> was something like "BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
> operation)"

This looks like a plain X11 error. Sometimes I found similar issues
were solved by deleting the ~/.Xauthority of the user in question.
Then he has to login again, so that it is recreated.

> <snip>
>> - Is there more than one queue per machine with different
>> starter_methods or alike?
>
> There are different queues defined but they only differ in that one is
> BATCH and INTERACTIVE and the other is only INTERACTIVE.

Is any ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile and so on checking the queue and
setting something depending on the granted queue? qrsh will by
default run in an interactive queue (better: immediate queue). With "-
now no" you can force it to run in a batch queue.

> And the slot count is different.

The slot count shouldn't matter.

-- Reuti