[GE users] windows setup time

beatrubi beat at 0x1b.ch
Fri Jan 1 14:09:28 GMT 2010

Hello!

Quoting <phpete48 at gmail.com> (31.12.09 15:54):

> About how many hours does it normally take to setup a sge on 20 windows
> machines
> for a person with no prior experience (5 yrs linux).

Just speaking for myself. I had quite some experience in setting up the Grid
Engine on Linux and some years of experience in managing Windows clients in
a Linux environment (Samba, Domain concept, ACLs / SIDs).

It tooks me about a week to understand the UID to SID mapping in Windows SUA
/ SFU. To understand the difference between a "logged in user" and a
"setuid()". This is a large difference when accessing stuff located on a
shared fileserver.

The installation of the Grid Engine itself is trivial. Debugging can be
hard. I had similar problems as a poster had some days ago. There was a bug
in the load sensor script which polls system relevant metrics and I had to
debug the script quite some time. Finally it was some work to understand the
different views to files out of SFU (Grid Engine submission scripts) and
Win32 (the application itself).

You should be able to (re)install Windows, SUA / SFU and the Grid Engine
several times to get some experience. An unattended Windows installation or
some kind of imaging will speed up your learning courve a lot. You should
have some knowldge in setting up the Grid Engine before starting your first
Windows execution node. And finally it will help you a lot being able to
manage your AD or to have a Samba PDC and all the stuff needed to access
your data from the Linux and the Windows side.

So the short answer: When you know what you do, it will take less then a
day. But to collect the needed knowledge you'll have to work quite hard.

Beat

--
     \|/                           Beat Rubischon <beat at 0x1b.ch>
   ( 0^0 )                             http://www.0x1b.ch/~beat/