[GE users] What the ... default shell ... confusion

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jan 6 13:38:16 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 30.12.2009 um 14:36 schrieb sgenedharvey:

> Thanks, but,
>
> shell_start_mode only seems to be able to set a shell based on
> first line of
> script, or by using a fixed value.  Am I missing something?
>
> -S only lets you name a shell.  It doesn't let you say "-S
> whatever_my_login_shell_is"

how does the current login shell affect the executed program or
script in interactive work? Also the startup mechanism used on the
command line will check, whether the to be executed file has a magic
header (readelf -h mypgm) and is a valid executable at all (you can
use -b to qsub for this). Or, if it's not executable it will be
interpreted by the shell (or any interpreter you enter) in the first
line.

The only effect that puzzles me, is that there seems to be a default
(bash in Linux) for exectuable scripts (on the command line), which
is used when the first line doesn't contain the shebang line. But
where is this default defined? AFAICS it's not in login.defs or
alike. Somewhere in the kernel?

-- Reuti