[GE users] qsub and holding while a job is *executing*?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jan 7 10:21:44 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 07.01.2010 um 10:14 schrieb jgrn307:

> Grid-engineers:
>
>    I'm a total noob to grid engine, so I apologize if this is a
> ridiculously simple question: I have a situation where I need to
> hold a job if and ONLY if a job with some name patterns is
> currently *running*, not if it has finished executing.  This is due
> to an unfortunate situation which rises during a certain phase of
> my parallel project where it must enter a specific program (GRASS
> GIS, in my case) that does NOT allow concurrent access, e.g. two
> jobs cannot access the program at the same time (the program is not
> thread-safe).

when you run a second instance of the program, it should be
independent from each other. Maybe you have to instruct the program
to use a special temporary directory or so. The usual one created by
SGE for each job is $TMPDIR, and maybe it's necessary to `export TMP=
$TMPDIR` or similar.

>   So in the situation where I have 3 jobs: job01, job02, job03; how
> do I qsub these so this situation is upheld (a job will not execute
> unless NONE of the other
> jobs is running).  My understanding is that -hold-jid is designed
> for process dependencies and checks for job completion (e.g. job02
> can't start until job01), so this isn't what I want, at least I
> don't think it is.  Any help you give me would be much appreciated,
> thanks!

Nevertheless, you can create a custom complex with an amount of one
(similar to managing it as a license count) and request for each of
your jobs of this type `... -l grass=1 ...`.

http://wikis.sun.com/display/gridengine62u5/Example+1+-+Floating
+Software+License+Management