[GE users] Using cycles from a 2nd SGE cluster

rhierlmeier richard.hierlmeier at sun.com
Fri Jan 8 11:35:08 GMT 2010

Hi,

izen wrote:
> My sys admin has been trying to configure two independent, linux clusters with static SGE pools, such that when the first cluster batch queue fills, additional jobs will fall over to a low priority queue in the second cluster. Each cluster has its own master node, and it would be a political non-starter to change that. So far, my admin has not succeeded.
>
> Is his configuration with static pools workable?

I think you are talking about subordinate queues. Not it is not doable with this
feature. Sounds more like a use case for the Service Domain Manager (SDM) module
of SGE.

> If so, we would welcome some guidance in configuring our SGE deployment to do this.

SDM implements resource sharing between two or more SGE clusters. For each SGE
cluster a SLO (Service Level Objective) can be defined. This SLO will request
new hosts whenever there are jobs in the pending queue. SDM takes hosts out of
spare_pool and installs the execd of the cluster on it. Once workload goes down
the hosts are removed from the SGE cluster and put back to the spare_pool.

You can implement power saving (hosts in spare_pool can be powered off) with
SDM. In addition you can get hosts from a cloud service like EC2.

For a good introduction please have a look at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFrwOdAVxJI

Richard

> We are beginning to wonder whether this is undoable with static pools, and need to switch to a dynamic pool.
>
> Input would be most welcome.  Thanks!  -Joe

Richard Hierlmeier           Phone: ++49 (0)941 3075-223
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7	     mailto: richard.hierlmeier at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg           http://www.sun.com/grid

Sitz der Gesellschaft: