[GE users] cluster Job migration

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Fri Jan 8 13:54:09 GMT 2010

fx wrote:
> templedf <dan.templeton at sun.com> writes:
>

>> There's not much.  The two general purpose answers are 1) Globus
>>

> How does Globus, per se, help?  Don't you need some extra resource
> management?

If you have two SGE clusters with Globus in front of them, Globus gets
to route jobs to the two clusters based on availability.  Given what a
PITA Goblus is though, I doubt the benefit is worth the cost.

> By the way, is anyone aware of a sane method of doing remote job
> submission to replace Globus, like a _simple_ layer on top of DRMAA (not
> involving the horrors of `web services' and such)?  We don't seem to
> have made much progress in 20 years.

I think the GridWay guy have a DRMAA implementation built on top of Globus.

>> and 2)
>> transfer queues.
>>

> How well do they work in practice?  They were tried here before my time,
> with poor results, but I don't know what the issues were (though may be
> able to find out).

The problem with transfer queues is that they're a home-grown solution.
They're as good as you make them.  The limitation when using transfer
queues between two SGE clusters, is that you can't really make scheduler
A adjust its preference for using the transfer queue based on how busy
cluster B is.  The transfer queue is generally always the last resort.

Again, when you're talking about multi-clustering with SGE, the Service
Domain Manager component really should be the place to start.  If you
can't make it fit your needs, then start looking around at these other
options.

Daniel