[GE users] cluster Job migration

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Jan 8 15:50:50 GMT 2010

templedf <dan.templeton at sun.com> writes:

>> How does Globus, per se, help?  Don't you need some extra resource
>> management?
>>

> If you have two SGE clusters with Globus in front of them, Globus gets
> to route jobs to the two clusters based on availability.  Given what a
> PITA Goblus is though, I doubt the benefit is worth the cost.

What component of Globus does that?  I thought it needed an extra layer
to do anything much.  (We do use GRAM, but only as a means of getting
jobs into the clusters, and wish we could abandon it.)

> I think the GridWay guy have a DRMAA implementation built on top of
> Globus.

Unfortunately that's not what I think of as sane :-/.

> Again, when you're talking about multi-clustering with SGE, the Service
> Domain Manager component really should be the place to start.

Doubtless, but I was interested in the more general case.  Thanks for
the comments.

--
(Dr) Dave Love
?E-Science?, Computing Services Department, University of Liverpool
AKA fx at gnu.org