[GE users] Increasing slots past the number of CPUs?

jgrn307 greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jan 11 19:06:48 GMT 2010

Gridengineers:

    How can I increase the number of available slots to run jobs higher
than the number of CPUs we have on the system?  We've found in the past
that by increasing the # jobs to maybe 10% more than the # of CPUs we
get the fastest full-job execution, but I'm having a problem finding
where to set this parameter (in the "Parallel Environment Configuration"
I see the slots parameter is set to 999, but only 16 jobs (we have 16
cpus) execute at the same time, so clearly there's another parameter
hiding that needs to  be set).  Thanks!

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD