[GE users] resetting job number (jobseqnum)

cjf001 john.foley at motorola.com
Tue Jan 12 20:00:47 GMT 2010

Guys -

I'm looking for a way to reset the job numbers back to "1" or something
low. I read this webpage:

http://gridengine.info/2007/08/24/reset-grid-engine-job-id-counter

which says this:

> Reset Grid Engine Job ID Counter
> Posted by chris on Friday, August 24, 2007
>
> Update 12/2009: It has been pointed out that the actual rollover value for the SGE JOB ID is 9,999,999.
>
> In a recent post, Sathish asks:
>

> My Current scenario: The job-ids crossed 5000. I'm quite aware that i can go with the job-id's till 999999. My Expectation: Is there any option to reset the existing job-id's such that the next job i submit will follow from 1 to ....
> Reuti is quick to mention that the Job ID counter is kept in a plaintext file at location:
>

> $SGE_ROOT/default/spool/qmaster/jobseqnumber... this does require a restart of Grid Engine to take effect.
>
> In another reply, Rayson offers a hint to people interested in altering the default value at which the SGE Job ID counter is reset back to 0. Apparently this value is encoded as "MAX_SEQNUM" in the SGE source code.

However, it doesn't seem to work.  I stop the sgemaster process on the qmaster,
edit the $SGE_ROOT/default/spool/qmaster/jobseqnumber file (this should actually
say "$SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/spool/qmaster/jobseqnum" in that webpage, I think), and
restart the sgemaster process - but after a few seconds that file gets changed
back to  the large number that it contained before I editted it.  Any ideas
on how to do this, or what I'm missing ?

    Thanks,

        John