[GE users] Courtesy Binaries on Mac OS 10.6

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Jan 13 17:15:34 GMT 2010

My most recent experience with with Mac OS X Server 10.6 but at least on
those systems you will find:

- The sge startup scripts provided in $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/ will
not work on Snow Leopard even when run as root.

- Standard Snow Leopard user accounts may not be able to submit jobs to
SGE because they belong to too many groups. You'll get an error on job
submission for the user

- The current SGE handling of Mac OS X systems is to create startup
scripts that use the OS X SystemStarter() framework. This framework is
deprecated under Snow Leopard and SGE will not run on 10.6 via the
SystemStarter method

The only reliable way to get SGE stable on Snow Leopard Server (OS X
10.6.x) is to do the following:

(1)  Create and manually install Launchd scripts for SGE. The only
reliable way to start and run SGE on 10.6 is under control of launchd.

(2) If non-root users have trouble sumitting jobs via qsub then the
problem is that their group affiliation is too large. Take them out of
some of the junk/unnecessary groups and things will start working

(3) Even then SGE may not start automatically on reboot. I've got a
Leopard Server system right now that is going to need manual launchd
load/unload commands stuffed into /etc/rc.common just to get SGE going
at reboot time without operator attention

I wrote some perl scripts that will automatically make launchd scripts.
These seem to work OK on Snow Leopard , short link here:
http://bit.ly/8B5k7o

-Chris