[GE users] Kill Jobs that appear to be doing nothing

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jan 14 10:43:40 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 11.01.2010 um 16:57 schrieb cgull:

> Hi thanks for your reply.
>
> By the sounds of it we will probably end up using the -l h_rt=.
>
> Some of these jobs run for 60 hours or so. If this failure occurs
> in the first few hours, it could be a lot of cluster time wasted?

yes, SGE cannot judge what to do on its own.

> Is there a better way that the -l h_rt?

You could use a cron task, which will check the cpu consumption of
all jobs in the system, and when it does not increase kill the job.
The necessary information you can get from:

$ qstat -j <job_id>

in the line "usage 1: cpu=00:24:49 ...". If the value does not change
after a certain time (I think it depends on the "load_report_time"
from SGE's configuration), the job is eligible to be killed.

-- Reuti