[GE users] Error with "export -f" shell (bash) functions

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jan 14 11:41:02 GMT 2010

rayson <rayrayson at gmail.com> writes:

> I have to disagree with you on this.
>
> I was referring to needing new line when the function environment
> variable is set in a C program

But you don't -- you can replace it with a semicolon.  It isn't really
relevant to the problem at hand, though.

> -- run the 2 C programs and see the
> difference.

The difference is because one has a syntactically incorrect function
definition.  [You might well consider it a bash bug that startup fails
in an environment with a value that's interpreted as an incorrect
function definition.]

> And as Ron mentioned, the environment file records 1
> variable per line and it is a flat file, so it is a bit harder for
> shepherd to parse it correctly during the environment setup stage...

If it has to have environment entries one/line, they will need
transforming like "\" ? "\\", ? ? "\n".

Well, looking at the source to see how easy that is to fix, as I can see
it biting me, it already does part of that (? ? "\n") in
`var_list_dump_to_file'.  However, `getenv_and_set' just trashes
newlines.  That looks wrong to me.

--
(Dr) Dave Love
?E-Science?, Computing Services Department, University of Liverpool
AKA fx at gnu.org