[GE users] Graph Tool

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jan 14 15:34:51 GMT 2010

hawson <beckerjes at mail.nih.gov> writes:

>>It does seem to me that it would be useful to have a public API for
>>querying qmaster for specific elements of its state in a scalable way
>>for this sort of application.
>
> There is a public API for this:  DRMMA.

??  It's not in DRMAA 1.0's scope; see http://www.drmaa.org.  What
bindings that claim to be doing DRMAA provide such an API?

> There's an ancient (dead?) Perl binding as well.

[I'm not aware it's dead, though it doesn't in install straightforwardly
from CPAN as far as I remember.  It's used by the Gridwise Tech Globus
integration referenced by the SGE Globus Howto.]

> The XML is the (in theory) the "portable, non-language specific" way to
> get data out of SGE.

I've ranted about that here before from experience with it in jobmonarch
in particular.  (If there's a useful definition of the XML emitted --
which at least in the past hasn't even been valid -- I'd still be
interested to know.)  Anyhow, qstat -xml isn't my idea of an API or a
scalable solution to the problem.  It certainly hasn't been stable to
the extent that the normal qstat output has been.

--
(Dr) Dave Love
?E-Science?, Computing Services Department, University of Liverpool
AKA fx at gnu.org