[GE users] Suspending jobs based on license load not cpu load

Mon Jan 18 14:09:45 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 14:47 +0100, elrond2k wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is an existing way of suspending jobs based
> on the licenses they are using as opposed to the server load.

> We have a setup with Grid + flex-grid to monitor licenses. And in some
> cases where it would be useful if we could suspend jobs temporarily to
> give licenses back to the pool if there are no licenses free. At least
> some tools support releasing licenses on ctrl-z, so a suspend / resume
> should work here, and it is also possible to add a lmremove in the
> suspend method I suppose. But I can't see exactly how to tackle this
> problem other than having an external daemon like qlicserver that has
> the power to suspend/resume... Any ideas?

Simply triggering a suspend is probably not the biggest issue. The real
issue is managing the resources to avoid any problems.
Take a read of this thread to see what I mean.

http://markmail.org/thread/xiafku4hibowmqgs

I don't see a simple solution.

/mark

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its "Confidential" status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.