[GE users] Suspending jobs based on license load not cpu load

Tue Jan 19 14:50:30 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 10:50 +0100, elrond2k wrote:
> Ok, I can see a problem in starting another grid job to take the license of the first job. But in my case I am more interested in giving back licenses to the pool so that interactive jobs outside the grid can run. And as such I do not need to worry about complexes not released.
>
> In my case the grid compete for licenses on a global pool, and I try at anytime to keep at least X licenses free for interactive jobs. I did a modification to how qlicserver handles negative limits to make this happen. This works well as long as the jobs on the grid are relative short. But if the jobs are long then the interactive jobs can eat the X free licenses before a grid job completes. And then you have angry mails incoming asking you to fix it asap :)
>
> So my idea was to suspend using qmod when the license complex is less than 0 for more than a Y minutes.

This sounds interesting. Let us know how far you get and how you fare.

/mark

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its "Confidential" status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.