[GE users] Advanced reservation for cluster outage?

s_kreidl sabine.kreidl at uibk.ac.at
Tue Jan 19 15:57:54 GMT 2010

I somehow got the AR working as expected with SGE 6.2u3 (qrsub -a 01291200 -e 01291800 -pe "openmpi-8perhost" 1008 -q "*@*" -u my_user)

The problem I encounter now, is that users have a hard time to get to know anything about the existing AR:

1. "qhost -q" shows the reserved slots for one of the two queues (par.q) we have, but shows nothing for the other queue (all.q - historic reasons), for which the reservation obviously does have the desired consequences too.

2. "qstat -j" gives no hint on any ongoing reservation for parallel pending jobs (only jobs explicitly sent to the "non-reserved" queue all.q do show "cannot run at host [...] due to a reservation" messages)

3. "qstat -f" shows no reservation in the triple slot display of any queue instance

4. "qstat -g c" shows no reservation at all

I do have two questions/concerns now:

1. Am I missing some standard procedure making ARs visible to the user as a reason for their pending jobs - is an update to 6.2u5 necessary?

2. If not, I'd like to make an RFE of some kind, but as I understand too little about the internal workings of SGE and AR, I'd like to put this to discussion.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sabine