[GE users] Limit Number of Jobs on Exec Hosts

myiagros dweichenthal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 20:20:54 GMT 2010

I am attempting to set up Grid for the first time. I have managed to get it set up and it runs properly but I am having trouble finding information on some advanced settings and the Sun Wiki pages haven't been much help so far.

The computers in my cluster aren't stand-alone servers, they are being used constantly by multiple people for running simulations and whatnot. I've been asked to set up Grid so that only a couple of simulations can be run at a time on each execution host.

I know about setting resource requirements but some of the larger simulations can use up a large amount of memory, sometimes up to 6GB or more. If I can change it so that only one or two jobs can run on each execution host then I don't have to worry about two jobs starting up on the same host which may both end up using 6GB, crashing the system in the process.

Is this possible or am I stuck with using the resource management.