[GE users] SGE and OpenMPI 1.3.2

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Thu Jan 21 15:06:51 GMT 2010

olesen wrote:
>> This is what I'm using for my openmpi PE for a reference:
>>
>> $ qconf -sp openmpi
>> pe_name            openmpi
>> slots              9999
>> user_lists         NONE
>> xuser_lists        NONE
>> start_proc_args    /bin/true
>> stop_proc_args     /bin/true
>> allocation_rule    $fill_up
>> control_slaves     TRUE
>> job_is_first_task  FALSE
>> urgency_slots      min
>> accounting_summary FALSE
>>

> Is '/bin/true' correct? I have
>
>   start_proc_args    NONE
>   stop_proc_args     NONE

NONE is equivalent to /bin/true.  Both are just no-ops.

>> I haven't quite decided whether or not to use
>> "accounting_summary TRUE" yet, as it doesn't seem to account
>> properly for parallel jobs.
>>

> I don't bother with accounting there either. Instead I parse the
> accounting file and count the slots/walltime.
> For our system the overall time that machines and licenses are occupied
> is the primary accounting factor.

There was a bug in u4 that prevented correct accounting of PE jobs if
accounting_summary was TRUE.  That's fixed in u5.  accounting_summary
tells the qmaster whether to aggregate the accounting information for
parallel jobs into a single accounting file entry.  If you're running
huge parallel jobs, you want it set to TRUE.

Daniel